Look what we found! The March/April 1986 issue of the C-E-F Trailblazer: Clinton-Essex-Franklin Library System News. Our Library was featured in the “Member Library Profile” written by Mary Hopkins with Ethel B. Manning providing the story of Au Sable Forks Free Library’s beginnings. To read full article, click here.
Mrs. Manning was a charter member of the library Board of Trustees and served as President for 30 years. Today, with gratitude and inspiration, we celebrate Mrs. Manning’s and countless others’ dedication and contributions to our library. Without these community servants’ hard work and perseverance, our facility would not exist to thrive and grow as it is today.
Here are some interesting facts about our library:
- Prior to 1942, there was no repository of reading material in Au Sable Forks
- In 1942, under the leadership of Marie Branch, school librarian, 42 charter library members contributed $3 each and 100 books to make reading material available to the community
- An office was rented on Main St. and the library rented books to adults for 3 cents/day and children for 2 cents/day, 2:00-5:00PM 3 days/ week
- In 1952, the little library outgrew its shelves and moved across the street to a location double in size
- In 1952, the library increased services with the support of Labor Day celebration funds and successfully applied for a provisional charter
- In 1961, a special election enabled a contract with and continued funding from the Towns of Jay and Black Brook and the Au Sable Valley Central School District
- In 1962, the library received its permanent charter
- On September 19, 1968 the new library building (at our current location) was dedicated
- In 1985, a new wing was added to the library including the “Leah B. Giltz Room”
The legacy of our founders, librarians, staff and many volunteers continues today. We are grateful to all who use and support our library and keep the love of reading alive in our town. If you would like to get involved and support our mission, click here.