Exhibition will be on display through March, 2023
Portraiture for me is like breathing life into a painting and watching the subject come to life. The painting starts rough and loose and a bit lifeless. Then you start layering and building and shaping. With every stroke, you feel the need to keep going and pushing toward the finished image.
My intent as an artist is to create artwork with real feelings and emotional depth in order to communicate my ideas and make a connection with the viewer in order to evoke an emotional response, whether it be joy, sadness, or laughter. If I can touch the viewer then I have accomplished my goal.
- Worked for the Lake Placid News, Adirondack Daily Enterprise, and Press-Republican, and has 30 years of experience as a photojournalist.
- Employed by the Plattsburgh Press-Republican as a staff photographer and photo editor from 2009 – 2018. Received twenty-two state and national awards for photography and video
- Ten years of experience as a teacher of Photography and Introduction to Photojournalism at SUNY Plattsburgh
- Currently, a working artist creating portraits for people with pastel, oils, and charcoal which I learned through taking master courses at the Academy of Art in San Francisco, where I’m a professional semester away from obtaining my MFA.
- Received Bachelor of Arts degree from SUNY Potsdam with concentrations in painting, photography, printmaking, and ceramics.
Highlights in the Art World
- Participation in several Strand Center for the Arts shows
- Solo art show entitled, Northern Exposure (2008), featuring my photographs at Clinton Community College
- Solo show entitled, Catching the Light (2021), featuring my landscape photos and my drawing and painting portraits at the Tahawus Cultural Center in AuSable Forks